Joyce Henderson is changing her name!
ANNOUNCING the new HIGH FIVE Contest from S.W. Florida Romance Writers
We hear it all the time. We have only a few pages to grab an editor or agent.
Start on a HIGH note with FIVE great pages!
Get the great feedback you expect from Joyce Henderson.
Open for entries Aug. 15 – deadline Oct. 1, 2019
WHAT WE OFFER
Contemporary (including Women’s Fiction with romantic elements)
Editor: Jennie Conway, St. Martin’s Press
Agent: Scott Eagan, Greyhaus Literary Agency
**Romantic Comedy** NEW!!!
Editor: Caroline Tolley, Soul Mate Publishing
Agent: Dawn Dowdle, Blue Ridge Literary Agency
Editor: Mary Altman, Sourcebooks
Agent: Kat Enright, The Seymour Agency
Editor: Robin Haseltine, Entangled Publishing
Agent: Amanda Leuck, Spencerhill Associates
Editor: Georgia Woods, Hartwood Publishing
Agent: Erin Niumata, Folio Literary Management
Editor: Nancy Schumacher, Melange Books
Agent: Michelle Grajkowski, Three Seas Literary Agency
- The chance to get your manuscript in front of a top industry editor AND agent!
- All winners announced in the Romance Writers Report.
- Within each category, winners will receive:
- 1st place: $50 and a Certificate of Achievement and Web logo
- 2nd place: Certificate of Achievement
- 3rd place: Certificate of Achievement
- ALL FINALISTS: Will receive complimentary admission to our Hearts in the Sand Conference, January 31-February 1, 2020
FIRST-ROUND JUDGES are members of Southwest Florida Romance Writers and other chapters of Romance Writers of America. Each entry will be evaluated by two first-round judges, at least one a published author. We encourage our judges to make comments, both on the score sheets and within the manuscript.
DEADLINE and other important dates:
Contest opens August 15, 2019. Entries must be submitted and payment received by 11:59 p.m. on OCTOBER 1, 2019. Finalists will be notified the first week of December, and we will announce winners February 1, 2020 at our Hearts in the Sand Conference.
- Unpublished authors
- Traditional or self-published authors who have not published in the category they’re entering within the past 5 years
- Entries must be the author’s original work that has not been published or contracted to be published. If self-publishing, we ask that you not release until (a) you learn you are not a finalist, or (b) if you ARE a finalist, until the winner is announced. If first-round or final judges should look up a title and find ratings or reviews, that could throw off the contest results (and your own placement, for better OR for worse).
- All English-language entries are welcome.
The first 5 pages of an unpublished manuscript featuring romantic elements.
Contestants may submit as many entries as they like, but a separate entry must be completed for each title and category entered.
All entries are electronic. Files will be accepted in *.doc or *.rtf formats. For the time being, *.docx is NOT permitted.
Manuscripts must be in standard manuscript format:
- One-inch margins, with text aligned to the left margin
- Times New Roman or Courier 12-point font
- Paragraphs indented, with no extra space between paragraphs
- Page numbers
- Headers including manuscript title
- Author’s name must not appear anywhere in the document
Entries that do not meet these formatting requirements will be returned for corrections.
$30 per submission via PayPal
SWFRW Members only: $25
You will be notified when your submission/payment is complete.
-CONTEST OPENING AUGUST 15-