2020 Hearts in the Sand Conference
Sponsored by Southwest Florida Romance Writers
Bi-annual conference allowing writers to hone their craft and marketing skills
and network with industry professionals.
Enjoy nearby beaches & Florida sunshine
January 31 – February 1, 2020
Embassy Suites by Hilton
10450 Corkscrew Commons Dr,
Estero, FL 33928 (Naples / Ft Myers area)
Learn to self-edit and polish your manuscript in this all-day workshop presented by industry veteran Angela James, for two decades editorial director at two romance presses, now a free-lance editor.
“Before You Hit Send” Master Class
Develop a checklist of techniques and processes for enhancing self-editing skills and polishing future manuscripts. Learn how to make the new knowledge a habit when writing future books. Learn the basics and the advanced techniques of:
• Dialogue and dialogue tags
• Whether all forms of “to be” are really evil (the answer is no)
• What is overwriting? How can you avoid it?
• Basic and advanced punctuation
• Passive voice vs active voice
• Point of view
• Pacing, including an editing trick to help you “fix” it
• What we mean by show not tell. And how to do that!
• Different types of editing and stages of editing
• What to look for in an editorial relationship
• What to look for and questions to ask when hiring a freelance editor
• Formalizing and finalizing your manuscript before you hit send (or press publish)
Social Media Maven and former Communications & PR Manager for WWE, Disney, Pepsi and more. Recipient of a PR News Platinum Award for best video program and Public Relations Society of America winner for best one-time media or special event. Tara is also the SWFRW president and writes contemporary romance under the pen name Tara September.
Making Your Social Posts Go Viral
Tips to beat the Facebook algorithm and get more views
Choosing & using the best social sites for your audience
Social marketing ideas for your book
Suzan Tisdale, CEO of Glenfinnan Publishing
Glenfinnan Publishing is a new author-owned, author-driven publishing house. They’re looking for new authors and indie authors whose careers haven’t flourished, despite all their hard work. Suzan requests that writers bring the first five chapters to their pitch appointment on paper or thumb drive.
Friday, January 31:
- 3:30 p.m. – Making Your Social Media Posts Go Viral
- 5:30 p.m. – Networking reception with appetizers (free cocktails if you are a registered hotel guest. If not, cash bar is available.)
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. – 1-page critiques with Angela James and Suzan Tisdale
Saturday, February 1:
8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Breakfast included for hotel guests.
- Scheduled pitch appointments with Suzan Tisdale.
- All-day Master Class with Angela James: Before You Hit Send
- Lunch (included)
- Raffle baskets and hotel raffle prize drawings – WIN a 2-night stay at Embassy Suites! (Cannot be used conference weekend)
SWFRW members will receive $10 in raffle tickets & additional hotel prize entry.
Any questions or difficulties registering, please contact Conference Coordinator and SWFRW VP Sarah Andre.